How to Apply
The deadline for applications is August 20th, 2020. It has been extended this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Especially international students are advised to apply without a delay after the UniAssist portal is opened in May. UniAssist needs some time to process all incoming documents. Application which arrive at UniAssitst short before the deadline will be evaluated late and reach the University of Cologne with a delay.
We strongly advice international students to read the following webpage carefully. Online: https://www.daad.in/en/study-research-in-germany/studying-in-germany/master-studies/ Especially the differences between an "University" and an "University of Applied Science" might be of interest for international students. The differences is very unique to the German educational system. In case you are interested to apply at an University of Applied Sciences, please check the following link: http://www.tt.th-koeln.de/ .
Requested Documents for Application
The admission committee requires the certified copies of the following documents in order to be able to verify your application:
- Letter of Motivation: The letter should not be longer as one A4-page. Other formal requirements do not apply.
- School leaving certificate (or an equivalent degree of qualification for access to German universities
- Bachelor-degree (or an equivalent degree obtained at an university or technical university) in a suitable subject related to Environmental Issues.
- Transcript of Records
- Two letters of academic recommendation: The letter should provide contact information of the author and can be sent directly to UniAssist. IMES is not having other formal requirements.
- Proof of English language skills: Applicants to the program whose primary language is not English and who graduated from a university where the language of instruction and examination was not English must submit an official score report of English proficiency that meets (one of) the following requirements:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): TOEFL PBT (paper-based) score of 550 or higher, TOEFL® ITP score of 550 or higher, TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) of 88 or higher.
- International English Language Testing Services (IELTS): 6.5 overall with no individual item score less than 6.0
- Applicants with a foreign school and university degree need to send also:
- Certified translation of degrees unless they exist in German or English.
Submitting the Bachelor Degree at a later date / Admission with Qualified Acceptance
An application with an incomplete Bachelor's degree is possible if
- the applicant can prove that he/she has already completed 150 ECTS. Therefore he/she will have to submit a preliminary transcript including a preliminary total grade average. The grade average must include all work to date. Conditional admission may then be granted as qualified acceptance. The admission to the master course expires if proof of the Bachelor degree is not given by September 30th.
Sequence of Application (for applicants with a foreign school and university degree)
The common sequence of an application is the following:
- Register through the application portal: Cologne University's online application service
You will receive an e-mail with a security link.
- Activate your access by clicking on the secured link
- Sign on in the application portal (online application service)
- Enter your personal data (name, address, etc), your desired course in Physics and save.
- Create a PDF document of your application by using the link "Antrag drucken“.
- Send your application electronically to uni-assist using the link "Antrag übermitteln“.
- Transfer the administration fees to the account of uni-assisst bank account details.
- Print and sign the PDF document.
- Send the printed and signed PDF document together with your documents and the transfer receipt to the address of uni-assist.
On the home page of uni-assist you will find a general overview of the steps for a successful application.
Should you have any queries, please address imes-infouni-koeln.de.